Have you received a dance injury?
Dancing requires a person to develop extreme strength and stamina as well as maintain high levels of flexibility. Just like any other physical activity though, dancing poses a risk of many types of Dance Injuries.
Pinnacle Physical Therapy & Personal Training in Columbia, SC provides therapeutic rehabilitative services to our patients who have sustained injuries from dancing. We understand how important dancing is to you, especially if it’s your career, and we’ll do our very best to help you get back up on your feet without pain.
Types of dance injuries
There are many kinds of dance injuries that can occur as a result of overuse, improper movement, or just by accident. When a dancer doesn’t have adequate time to rest between practices or performances, extra stress can be placed on joints and muscles, causing injury.
A few common types of dance injuries Pinnacle Physical Therapy & Personal Training can treat are:
- Sprained ankles – Overstretching or tears in the ligaments of the ankle, caused by any movement that forces the ankle outside of the normal range of motion.
- Achilles tendonitis – Inflammation of the tendon located on the back of the ankle. The pain typically worsens with motions such as jumping.
- Trigger toe – This is very common in ballet dancers and happens when damage and inflammation occurs in the muscles of the big toe.
- Jumper’s knee – Also called “patellofemoral pain syndrome”, this condition happens because of repetitive forces on the dancer’s patella. Their kneecap begins to function incorrectly, resulting in pain in the front part of the knee.
It’s important that you don’t continue to try and dance when you’re injured, as this could cause further complications and pain! If you’ve been diagnosed with any of these injuries, you will most likely require the care of a physical therapist for rehabilitation.
How Pinnacle Physical Therapy & Personal Training can help
Physical therapists are skilled specialists in the areas of movement and functionality. A Columbia, SC physical therapist will not only be able to manage and relieve your pain symptoms from a dance injury, they’ll also be able to help prevent the same problem from plaguing you in the future!
At your first appointment, your therapist will do a full body assessment. They will ask you where your pain is located, and may require you to perform a few tests as well to measure your ability to walk or balance. They will also ask you questions about previous injuries, as well as what kind of dancing you do on a daily basis. After your assessment, your physical therapist will create a customized treatment plan geared toward your recovery from your dance injury.
All therapy treatments are different, but a few methods your Pinnacle Physical Therapy & Personal Training physical therapist may choose to include in yours are:
- Manual therapy
- Heat therapy
- Ice therapy
- Targeted stretches and exercises
- Ultrasound therapy
- Strength and endurance training
- Therapeutic massage
- Balance and gait training
You will work one on one with your physical therapist to restore your normal range of motion, strength, flexibility, and dancing abilities. The ultimate goal for physical therapy when it comes to a dance injury is to get you back out on the floor, doing what you love without nagging pain hindering you!
Call us today for an appointment
If you’ve sustained an injury from dancing, call our clinic in Columbia, SC today to schedule a consultation with one of our physical therapists. Your health and wellbeing are of the utmost importance to us at Pinnacle Physical Therapy & Personal Training, and we’ll make sure you’re on your way to recovery and feeling your best in no time at all.